Background info: Much like traditional African foods and dishes influenced other regions of the world, African cuisine in America forever changed the culinary landscape. Influenced early on by Spanish and French cuisines, it ultimately gave us the southern “soul food” that we know (and love) today.
Carrying on the traditions of their ancestors (who considered fermented foods to be of the utmost importance for women and children’s health), African-American cooks preserved garden-fresh foods by pickling or fermenting. One of the oldest food processing technologies, fermentation of African indigenous vegetables is known to improve nutritional value, with some lactic acid bacteria having been found to possess cholesterol-lowering and antioxidant properties.
Finger foods are always a favorite at barbeques and picnics. These sweet and sour green beans will bring rave reviews from young and old alike, while providing much-needed probiotics.
- Blanch or lightly steam enough green beans to fill a pint jar. Pack tightly in jar with several sprigs of fresh dill and 2 garlic cloves and cover with this mixture:
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- ¼ cup whey
- Filtered water to reach top of jar
Top with small, thinly sliced sweet onions and press down under brine. Gently turn the jar upside down and back several times to distribute seasonings. Ferment in the cupboard for approximately five days. Transfer to the refrigerator.
by Annie Dru, CCE
We hope you enjoy eating live fresh organic foods like we do. They nourish your body at the cellular level!
The Science Based Nutrition ™ Service Includes:
- You will complete a Symptom Survey.
- Your Provide us with your vitals, height, weight, and primary concerns
- Labcorp, Inc. draws blood and takes a hair sample to send to Doctor’s Data, Inc.
- Urine tests are done at home or in the lab and our stool test is done in the privacy of YOUR home.
- Make an appointment and receive your Comprehensive Analysis Report. (View Sample Report here.) A report of nutritional findings, meal-planning, and nutritional supplementation suggestions are discussed in person or on the phone.